There’s always a million reasons why not to travel. And there always will be…
The time has come for this year’s Raddest Photo Trip Ever — December 1st through the 14th. I am soooo extremely excited to jump on a plane with another awesome group of photographers!!! Most importantly, I can’t wait to show those who come along why Thailand and Cambodia are two of my favorite places on the globe. The ruins of Cambodia. The islands of Thailand. Washing elephants in the rivers of Kanchanaburi. Playing with wild monkeys. The most beautiful waterfalls on earth. Deelish Thai food. Incredible local people. And, obviously, a great photographic experience! Thailand and Cambodia are both such incredibly unique places — and I can’t wait to show another group of people the trip of a lifetime!!!
Here’s last year’s blog posts on the trip and here’s the year before that. And, even more importantly, in my opinion, here’s the teaser video of the trip — shot all on the 5D Mark II with the Steadicam Merlin at parts — totally worth the watch, imo ;)
Now, after getting feedback from a lot of you, I’m doing a couple things different this year. First, I’ll be accepting retainers TODAY! Last year’s RPTE was announced like four months in advance and many of you told me that this was just not enough notice for a ton of different reasons. So hopefully 9 months in advance will help as far as saving money and getting time off.
The retainer will be $1000, then $1000 due in mid summer, and the remaining balance due at the end of October (a month before we leave).
There are a maximum of 12 spots — handed out on a first come/first serve basis — and we’re almost half booked out as of right now! The trip is Dec. 1st through the 14th – here’s all the relevant info you need (contracts, general info, etc). Take a minute and read through everything carefully. Let me know if you guys have any questions! AFTER you’ve read the info, of course ;)
- Cost is $3300 per person. Airfare is not included.
- Like any guided tour, you can do this cheaper on your own. But no one out there knows this region like I do. Some people make a mean chicken marsala — well I make a mean Thailand/Cambodia :)
- What’s included? All travel inside Thailand/Cambodia, visa fees to Cambodia (if you’re American — if not, you might have additional requirements for entering either country), tickets to everything we do, costs of anything on the itinerary, and lodging are inlcuded. Food, souvenirs, and whatever you do during free time is not included. Food is VERY cheap, by the way. I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than 4 or 5 bucks at a restaurant. Average meal for me is like 3 bucks.
- Discount for couples! You don’t have to be a married couple — just two friends/dating/married couple signing up together. The discount is $300 per person (so $600 altogether) — so get your friend, loved one, sibling, and come to Thailand and Cambodia with us!
- Discount for past RPTE peeps! If you’ve gone in the past and want to go again, your “homie hookup” is $2800 for a single and $2700 for a couple.
- Is it a workshop or a holiday? It’s tax deductible either way, but I’m often asked if this is a photography workshop or if it’s a photo tour. It totally depends on you :) Some of the people that come are legit pros who couldn’t care less to learn a thing from me. Some are part time pros/ams who want to ask questions about business. Some are people who literally own a little point and shoot and are starting from scratch! Because of this, there’s no sit down workshop time, or anything. The trip is just an open Q&A time. Nothing is off the table. You’ll find out VERY quickly on the trip that I love talking and answering any questions (whether technical photography/post-processing stuff or business). So if you’re game to ask, I’m game to help :)
- You do not have to be a professional photographer! Some of the people who’ve come on this trip only had a point and shoot and still had the best time ever :)
- To grab your spot, print and sign the contract, email me telling me you’re mailing me your retainer and contract, mail me your check and contract (get a tracking number), email me the tracking number, and you’re all set! I’ll respond along the way letting you know your status. Credit Card can be used for immediate payment (no extra fees for the retainer — but there’ll be a 3% charge for the final two payments if done by credit card).Alright, that’s it for now! If you’re dying to come, definitely grab the bull by the horns.
And remember, there’s always a million reasons not to do something like this. Nearly every reason that you have not to go this year will be there next year. Believe me. It will. I believe so strongly in how this trip changes and inspires people. Bringing people to this region is my greatest passion — more than photography itself. I genuinely can’t wait to meet all of you that take the plunge!
One of my favorite past RPTE attendants, and now dear friend, Katie Lewis, had this to say about her first RPTE experience and her nerves about signing up. She then went on to do another RPTE with us to China… and apparently wants to come back this year :) Her post sums up how this trip effects people.
Be sure to let me know if you have any questions and I can’t wait to meet who’s coming with us!!!
I’ll leave with some of my favorite images from our past trips to Thailand and Cambodia…
Can’t wait to meet those of you who are coming along!!!